Last year’s new-thing-in-quilting self-challenge was the beautiful Gravity Quilt designed by Julie of Jaybird Quilts. I made all the blocks, usually following most of the instructions (not my natural tendency) and I found the techniques and methods in the pattern to be really easy to follow with great precision results.
But then when it came time to do the background and assembly, I just did not love my blocks. A lot had to do with the fact that I chose to used a somewhat un-planned fabric pallette and batik or tone-on-tone fabrics as opposed to the carefully selected gradations of solids in the pattern. I knew it was a risk from the start, but I also knew that there were plenty of alternatives if I wanted to branch out into something less gravity and maybe a bit more lightweight.
Another factor in my decision to go rogue was that the quilt as designed is large, and to quilt it on my Bernina 440 domestic machine, while not impossible, would be a lot of work, and I just was not feeling excited at the prospect.
So I decided to split my blocks up into several smaller projects.
I have this 10 sided quilt — or maybe it will be a table topper for a round table. I personally like pinks and yellow/orange together. The colors blend a bit better in natural light than they do in this cell-phone pic.
Then there is this, which I call my batik argyle table runner. It works in our dining area, or could be a wall quilt. Or a bed runner.
And there is this table topper, using the problematic purples, which didn’t play nicely with the other batiks from my stash.
But my favorite is the rainbow star arrangement. I’m still playing around with final background block details, setting myself the additional challenge of using only fabrics on-hand and not going out to buy more. I think it’s going to be good. . .